Be Prepared !
Just like another well-known volunteer organisation with that slogan, your organisation needs to be prepared. It needs to know why it wants to involve volunteers in its work, how volunteer positions fit and be ready to receive willing volunteers when contacted.
The benefits of being organised and ready for volunteers are plentiful:
- It sets the stage for an effective volunteer program and positive volunteer experiences.
- Thoughtful screening connects the right volunteer with the right opportunity.
- Happy volunteers tell others about their experiences, as do unhappy volunteers.
Success builds on success - effective volunteer programs attract volunteers.
Overall volunteer management is comprised of several pieces including:
- Planning and preparation
- Role description/volunteer assignment development
- Ongoing support and motivation
- Feedback and evaluation
- Appreciation and recognition
Learn more by reading about Managing Volunteers